It’s “Islander Day” on Prince Edward Island today. What better way to celebrate on this cold winter day than with fresh homemade bread and the heavenly scent of baking bread wafting through the house. Today’s offering is a healthy choice of Oat Bran and Flaxseed. This iteration is an artisan or rustic style bread, characterized by using ingredients like oat and whole wheat flours and by “scoring” decorative cross-cuts on the top of the loaf. This bread is good with hearty homemade soups and for bistro-style healthy sandwiches.
Oat Bran and Flaxseed Bread
By February 20, 2012Published:
- Yield: 1 loaf
- Prep: 2 hrs 45 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 3 hrs 5 mins
An artisan-style wholesome bread that compliments homemade soups or makes a hearty sandwich.
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (100F degrees /38C)
- 2 tbsp amber honey
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In small bowl, combine 1/4 cup warm water and 1 tsp. sugar. Stir to dissolve sugar.
- Sprinkle dry yeast over water and let stand apx. 10 minutes until yeast has risen and is foamy.
- In large bowl, combine honey and 1 cup warm water. Stir together.
- Add yeast to honey and water mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add oat bran, oat flour, whole wheat flour, ground flaxseed, salt, and 1 cup of the all-purpose flour. Mix until flour is combined and dough sticks together. Gradually add remaining flour.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 5-8 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Shape into a large ball.
- Place dough in greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with cooking oil. Place in warm, draft-free place and let rise for apx. 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down risen dough. Shape into a large ball. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for apx. 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. If desired, using a sharp knife, make a few decorative score lines on top of the loaf. Bake bread for 20-25 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove to wire wrack and allow to cool completely before slicing.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress